Wednesday, February 20, 2013

How I Easily Feed my Casein/Gluten/Soy/Corn/Sugar-free Toddler

How I Easily Feed my Casein/Gluten/Soy/Corn/Sugar-free Toddler



Or Jett’s Rainbow
by Andi Durkin
Note: all ingredients are organic. I buy whatever is cheapest that week. I have the broths, root vegetables and starches all ready made up and frozen into individual portions.

1) I mix his vitamins for the day into 5 small bowls. (For first thing in the morning, at breakfast, lunch, dinner and an hour before bed.)

2) I get something to hide the vitamins in: Mashed banana, sweet potatoes, avocado w/fermented ketchup, applesauce, or any organic baby food, etc. I add however much Tupelo honey (has lowest glycemic value) that I need. (I taste it so that it’s just enough that I don’t want to immediately spit it out — which works for Jett.) I mix my choice into the small bowl of vitamins for that time of day.

3) I choose a broth: chicken, beef, fish, lamb, etc. and pour about a 1/4 cup or thaw it in a sauce pan over medium heat. I add more if I want it to be more like soup.

4) Since skin color indicates the presence of different vitamins, I choose vegetables from each color of the rainbow that I didn’t already use for the vitamin mix:

ROY G. BIV (Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet)
So one day may look like:

A sweet red pepper for Red, shredded carrots for Orange, a chopped squash for Yellow, peas and a dollop of spinach for Green, two prunes for Indigo and roasted beet for Violet. I put them in the pot, frozen items first.

Some items I put some on top, not touching the broth, just to steam a little. Some I set aside to be given raw. Cover and heat.

Whatever color I don’t use here, I save for a side dish or dessert. It’s usually a fruit. For red, strawberry; orange a tangerine; yellow a mango; green a kiwi; blue some blueberries; indigo some blackberries; and violet some grapes.

5) I choose a moderate amount of protein: chopped turkey or chicken, beans & rice, an egg, salmon, ground beef, etc. and add to the pot.

6) I choose a starch: pink or brown rice, quinoa, or a rice or kelp noodle and add it to the pot.
6) I add a fat: chicken skin, avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. and mix it in the pot.

7) I add spices: dried seaweed flakes (for iodine, etc.), pepper and pink Himalayan sea salt. And if I have some fresh herbs, I chop and add that as well. Sometimes basil, sometimes parsley, sometimes dill. Sometimes I’ll add a little curry mix, salsa, Italian tomato sauce, or fermented ketchup. Anything to make that day’s meal a little different from the day before.

I serve this to my 25-month-old Jett most of the time. I use the same process every day, but get different results each time. He loves it!